Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Definition of Creative Non-Fiction

What is creative non-fiction?

Before I started this class, I had no idea what creative non-fiction was. That thought was the reason that I decided to take this class. I wanted to find out what creative non-fiction was through the process of reading examples of it, and then trying to write my own. After the first couple of classes, I have found myself in the midst of great examples of creative non-fiction, and I am eager to start writing my own. In my own words, creative non-fiction is writing about an event that may have happened, or will happen, but embellishing on it in your own way. In other words, a person who wanted to write a creative non-fiction piece could write about a memory they had, and although they may not be able to recall every detail of that memory, it would still be called "non-fiction" because the memory happened. It is turned into "creative" non-fiction because every detail of that specific memory cannot possibly be recounted perfectly. I love writing about things that have happened to me, and stories that I have heard from other people. I don't have a very good memory, so I believe that everything I have written about a memory or a story could be considered creative non-fiction. Who knew? When I walked into class, I did not know what creative non-fiction meant, and today I am writing my own definition of it, and also finding out that I have been writing it for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment