Thursday, September 23, 2010

Essay in Segments

Using segments in an essay is something that would take me awhile to get comfortable with. I have never written in segments before, because I have never written anything that it would be helpful to use. However, if I were to write an essay in segments, there are two techniques that I would probably touch upon.

The first one that looks like I could use it easily was journaling. Since I have kept a journal from a very early age, it would be easy for me to adapt that journal writing into an essay form. I could even turn one of my journals into a creative non-fiction story, by changing the names and maybe not telling anyone that it was my journal. Also, I enjoy writing drafts of my work, and taking little notes about what I think about to write. Sometimes i'll even jot notes down in my everyday life when I am not thinking about my piece, because something will come to me. Compiling all these notes will help me write in segmented form.

The second technique that I would use to write in segments would be accumulation. This seems like a very difficult way to write in segments, but very interesting. As was written in Dr. Chandler's blog, it is to write in sections, but each new section adds to the previous one, and may even make the reader re-think what they previously thought. Confusing, right? Yes, but also very thought provoking. I could write like this because sometimes in life, an event may happen but then right after something ELSE happens that changes the previous event. That is real life- and when transcribed on the page would come out in segments.

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Casey. In class we did a journal to help us think of ideas for our "I" essay. The requirements for the essay is on the class blog homepage.

    ReplyDelete