Monday, November 15, 2010

Eye Essay #2

Wine.

This isn't a draft yet. It's just a couple of ideas I will embellish on during my essay.

~ To me, wine is just something that tastes good. Sometimes it's fruity, sometimes it tastes like grass, or dirt, and sometimes bread. I don't drink it the proper way, however I have been taught endless times how to. I don't drink white wine with chicken and fish, and red wine with steak and pizza. I don't really follow any rules when it comes to wine ettiquette, and I think it's made my love of wine even more prevalent.

~ I have taken countless adventures to vineyards on the east coast, and some on the west coast but that was before I was of age. I love the smell of the barrels, the grapes, and the cold basements where they do the bottling. My family is really into wine, and my mother used to work in a wine shop. I've learned a lot from her about different kinds of wine, however the one thing I have learned is that my mother has almost turned into a bit of a wine snob, which makes me and my father laugh. I won't bother buying a wine unless it's under 10 bucks, regardless of the type. However my mother has many different qualms about the way I deal with wine, because of her "experience" in the business.

~A lot of my family parties revolve around wine. People will bring different kinds, and there will maybe be 10-15 bottles at the bar, opened, even if there is only 10 people at the party. Now there are no alcohol abusers in the family, however it is not uncommon to see someone guzzle at least four glasses of wine in a night.

~ I would like to explore different critics of wine and how they describe it. I have no idea what people are saying when they say a wine tastes "fleshy" or "oaky". What does that even mean? Have these people tasted oak or flesh?

No comments:

Post a Comment